Friday, September 29

Standards - Be Ignored

Might Topeak Have put Holes in to Help the Poor Cyclist?
For a brief, shining moment, I thought that Topeak would let me install legally required equipment without an undue amount of fiddling. Alas, it turned out not to be so. As my loyal reader knows, I've figured out how to install a SAE reflector on a Topeak rear rack. That post is shown here.

Last week, I got ANOTHER Topeak rack. This one was going to go on one of the other bikes. I picked Topeak because their stuff works together. I particularly like the way their bags slide into their racks interchangeably, without needing to use velcro to finish things. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it works with stuff MOST people consider standard fitment. Like legally required stuff.

Close, but no CEE GAR!
This week, my brand new Topeak rack included a cheesy, plastic mount for a rear light/reflector. Looking at it, it looked as if it'd work with my SAE Standard reflector. Sadly, Topeak did not make it more than close enough to get me briefly excited. In other news, you can see how the rack pretty much obscures the CPSC-required reflector that Trek put on the bike. The photo below shows this, as well as just how much reflector I'm getting for those dark mornings. For the time being, I suspect the adhesive on the back of the SAE reflector will work pretty well, though a plastic Topeak piece probably isn't as good to keep it stuck as the painted metal of the rack. We shall see.

If you Use the Mounts Trek Provides, You Cover Up the Reflector Trek Provides

It looks as if Ace Hardware and tin snips will still be required for a permanent solution. I guess I'm glad I documented that solution earlier and that I've already got a tie cut to precisely the proper shape!

4 comments:

GreenComotion said...

Minimally, I would secure with Zip-ties!
Have a Happy Weekend, Steve!
Peace :)

cafiend said...

A rider around here who trains obsessively through the dark months has slathered every frame he's owned with DOT reflective tape.

Steve A said...

Zip ties are not a bad idea, though reflectors are pretty cheap. I guess the obsessive trainer is emulating the typical fire/police department. People still run into those vehicles, despite them being on the shoulder and laws requiring a lane change. There just ain't no sure thing! Note to self - take off that CPSC reflector which is obscured by the rack and the bag.

Khal said...

Wow. Time flies when you are having fun. My own reflector solution, which we discussed back in that 2014 post, is still working fine. Pic here from that earlier exchange.
http://labikes.blogspot.com/2014/09/adapting-sae-reflectors-and-other-stuff.html

Post a Comment

No Need for Non-Robot proof here!